Jathikai / Nutmeg Dried (Raw)
This spice tree is a large evergreen plant that thrives well under
tropical climates. A fully-grown tree may reach about 50-60 feet in
height and is the source of nutmeg and mace, two invaluable spices. The
nutmeg fruit, indeed, is a drupe about the size of an apricot which up
on ripening splits-up to reveal single, centrally situated oval shaped
hard kernel popular as "nutmeg spice. " This seed kernel is closely
enwrapped by crimson-red, lacy or thread like arils known as "mace. "
Both spices feature a similar warm, sweet aromatic flavor.
Botanical Name : Myristica Fragrans
English Name : Nutmeg
Tamil Name : ஜாதிக்காய், காக்காய் மூஞ்சி / Jathikai
Hindi Name : जातीफल / Jati-phal
Malayalam Name: ജാതി / ജാതിക്കാ / Jathi / Jathikka
Telugu Name : జాజికాయ / Jajikaya
About Jathikai (Nutmeg):-
This spice tree is a large evergreen plant that thrives well under tropical climates. A fully-grown tree may reach about 50-60 feet in height and is the source of nutmeg and mace, two invaluable spices. The nutmeg fruit, indeed, is a drupe about the size of an apricot which up on ripening splits-up to reveal single, centrally situated oval shaped hard kernel popular as "nutmeg spice. " This seed kernel is closely enwrapped by crimson-red, lacy or thread like arils known as "mace. " Both spices feature a similar warm, sweet aromatic flavor. Nutmeg tree yields up to three times in a season. Once harvested from the tree, its outer coat or husk is removed and discarded. Just underneath the tough husk is the golden-brown color aril, known as "mace, " which firmly enveloping around the nutmeg kernel. Mace is gently peeled-off from its kernel surface, flattened into strips, dried, and sold either as whole (blades) or finely ground powder. Nutmeg kernel is then dried under the sun for several days to weeks. At larger commercial set-ups, this process is accomplished rather more rapidly over a hot drier machine until the whole nutmeg rattles inside the shell. Its shell is then cu-open and a single, shriveled nutmeg kernel is then taken out. Finally, nuts are dipped in lime-water in order to prevent insect infestation and seed germination.
Internal Benefits of Jathikai (Nutmeg):-
1. Jathikai for sleep: Jathikai helps to induce sleep. People with sleep disorders prefer Jathikai to get a good night sleep. Nutmeg helps to treat various sleep disorders. It has natural sedative properties and helps you to get sleep naturally without sleeping pills and other chemicals.
2. Jathikai for babies: Jathikai is good for babies. But please limit the quantity you give to babies with just a swipe. It induces the sleep in babies. This is a very old home remedy. People give it as a part of Ura marundhu. People give vasambu, sukku, masikkai, kadukkai and few other ingredients also along with nutmeg.
3. Jathikai for Stomach problems:
Nutmeg is good to treat stomach problems like indigestion, diarrhea and
flatulence. You can include nutmeg powder in your breakfast cereals or
with warm milk.
External Benefits of Jathikai (Nutmeg):-
1. Jathikai for face, skin and hair: Jathikai is good in treating pimples, blemishes, acne and acne scars. It has anti-inflammatory properties.
2. Jathikai for dental problems: Nutmeg has anti-bacterial properties. It is used in oral care and to treat problems like tooth pain, sore gums. Nutmeg oil is available in market. One drop of oil can be applied in the problematic area.
3. Jathikai for joint pains, massage and aromatherapy:
There are jathikai oil available in the market for joint and muscular
pains associated with rheumatism or overexertion. Even nutmeg essential
oil is available online and offline which can be used in massage and
How to Consume Jathikai (Nutmeg) Internally:-
• Morning - Mix 5 gms of powder in 100 ml water, Boil the content for few minutes. once the water gets warm, filter the content and drink it before food. Repeat the same for Evening Dosage after dinner.
• Jathikai for sleep:Mix jathikai powder in warm milk. 1/8 tsp of Nutmeg powder can be added to 1 cup of warm milk. Drink it before going to bed. You will get a deep sleep very soon. Jathikai is a popular natural sleep aid. It provides relaxation and gives a sound sleep.
• Jathikai for Stomach problems: Include nutmeg powder in your breakfast
cereals or with warm milk.
How to Apply Jathikai (Nutmeg) Externally:-
If you have jathikai powder, mix it with water and make a thick paste. Clean and wipe the face gently. Apply the jathikai powder paste directly on the pimples. You can use freshly ground nutmeg powder too. After applying, wait for 20 minutes and wash it off with clean water. Pat dry your face.
Procurement & Agriculture Method:
90% of Our Herbs are Wild crops and 100% organic by nature, remaining 10% are organically grown, dried, and pulverized with no chemical or preservatives.
The Consumption details and benefits listed out in our website are taken from Tamil ancient books and Siddha records, as well as its been further fine tuned by our Siddha Doctors Team. Any how you are requested to consult your Doctor before use.