Dhayam / Thanjavur kattam (தாயம்)
For Children 8 years and above
Dhayam is a board game played from ancient time in Tamilnadu. It is played by 2 to 4 persons at a time.
Skill Set :
- Mathematical Skills
- Memory Power
- Analytical Skills
- Dynamic Thinking
- Planning Ability
- Rapid Decision Making
- Motoring Skills
- Observation Power
Description about Dhayam / Pagadai / Thanjavurkattam :-
Dhayam is a board game played from ancient time in Tamilnadu
. It is played by 2 to 4 persons at a time.
Skills; Mathematical skills, Memory enhancement, Analytical Skills, Dynamic Thinking, Planning ability, Rapid Decision making, Motoring Skills, and Observation power in children.
Package Specification For Dhayam / Pagadai / Thanjavurkattam:
Board Game -Thayam
Handcrafted board, Brass dice 2 No, 16 coins (4 Green, 4 brown, 4 Red & 4 Orange) and Cloth pouch for coins.
Country of Manufacture
Number of Players
The Game board contains 7 X 7 square boxes. The center box of all the four sides is crossed; it’s the home for each player.
In the next layer, four corners are crossed it’s the rest or safe place.
Center of the box also crossed it’s the Endpoint/ Goal.
Rules and Direction to Play Dhayam / Pagadai / Thanjavurkattam:
Each player has 4 coins, move the coins from home to Goal.W ho reach all 4 coins first to the center is the winner.
1) Roll the dice at your turn, if the value is 5 or 6 or 12 then you have another chance to roll the dice again. If it\'s 2, 3, or 4 then you have to pass the Dice to the next player.
2) At first, start when You put 1(thayam) then only you will be able to put your 1st coin at your home. After that all other coins out in the game can bring back to the game when you put 1 or 5.
3) In all plain boxes only one coin is able to stand (even also same player coin).
4) It\'s a War, so a player can cut other player’s coin which is not in a safe zone (not in cross box). The cut coin is out from the game. (You have a red coin in my home if a green coin is 3 cells next from your home and your dice value is three then You can cut that coin and play again) (Ref point no 2 to bring back the cut coin to the game).
5) At least a player should cut another player coin one time to enter to the next layer from the first layer.
6) Coins entered in next layer has to follow clockwise root to reach Goal and coin can be entered to goal from the same direction of your starting point.
Moral of the Game Dhayam / Pagadai / Thanjavurkattam:
In Tamil, there is a proverb \"vithiyai mathiyal vellalam\", means U can change your fate by your mind. Here the dice values are our fate and we manage to move all the coins to the destiny with Our mind with out losing the coins to others.